Welcome to Bihac!
A small but modern and open city that respects all democratic principles based on European standards. This city strives to be a leader in competitiveness in the region, a recognizable destination for investment and business development. Bihać is the center of this part of Bosnia and Herzegovina for the development of entrepreneurship, tourism and manufacturing, which also promotes the development of social infrastructure, education, sports, health, social protection and civil society.
We strive to improve the valorisation of natural resources based on the principles of sustainability with a focus on the development of the Una National Park. We create a modern and efficient city administration to service investors and citizens by applying the modern modalities of the organization. We work on environmental protection and strive to ensure sustainable development by reducing negative environmental impacts, planned management of space and natural resources and rational development of utilities. We are strengthening the capacity to create and implement development projects, and in this regard we are constantly building and strengthening partnerships with our environment.
Mayor, Šuhret Fazlić
City of Bihac - basic economic characteristics
Bihac is a business, administrative, educational, cultural, sports and health center of the Una-Sana Canton. The geographical location of the city of Bihać is extremely favorable, given that the city is located along the main corridors of Western Europe-Mediterranean-Middle East. It is located directly along the border with the Republic of Croatia and is adorned with its proximity and connection with major centers such as Zagreb, Split, Ljubljana, Vienna and the like.
Most significant resources
- forest resources with a total area of 52,527 ha, which enables, above all, high quality of healthy living in this area, but certainly important prerequisites for the development of wood processing industry, as well as a wide range of other entrepreneurial activities, primarily tourism and the tourism economy;
- mineral resources and non-metals, of which there are deposits of gypsum, dolomite, limestone, architectural and construction stone of bihacite in the area of Bihac. At the site of gypsum in Kulen Vakuf, geological surveys were carried out and reserves of approximately 7.0 mil were determined. tons of quality gypsum and is one of the largest gypsum deposits in Europe.
- agricultural land of 27,262 ha, of which 19,773 ha is private and 7,471 ha is state land. Along with a distinct agricultural area, a long tradition of engaging in this activity and favorable climatic conditions are favorable to the development of agricultural production, and the main branches of agriculture in Bihac are fruit and vegetable production, animal husbandry, beekeeping and fishing.
- hydropower potentials and thermal mineral waters in the Gata settlement near Bihać. These resources provide a very valuable basis for utilizing the aforementioned potentials for the production of energy from renewable / alternative sources, for supplying the needs of the population and industry, and for quality opportunities for the development of economy / agriculture and tourism;
- the natural beauties and the Una National Park represent quality bases for the development of tourism and the tourist economy, which offers a chance for realization of development tourism projects, which ultimately implies the improvement of the valorisation of available natural resources;
Bihac has exceptional opportunities for the development of spa, rural, religious, cultural, historical, winter, herbal, hunting, fishing and extreme tourism.
Tourism potential consists of:
- natural beauties and the Una National Park,
- rich cultural heritage,
- accommodation and catering facilities,
- manifestations in tourism
A total of 2,721 business entities are registered in the territory of the city of Bihać, which is the total number of all legal and natural persons. Of these, 59% (or 1,595 entities) were legal entities and 41% (or 1,126 entities) were natural persons. In order to intensify the local economic development, the city of Bihac has implemented, and ongoing are realizations, activities, programs and projects that have the effect of improving the business climate, namely:
- realization of the program of promotion of the city of Bihac - promotion of the potential of the city as well as investment opportunities,
- entrepreneurship incentive programs - subsidizing interest rates on loans, rewarding innovative business ideas and supporting start-ups
- programs for establishing and arranging business zones: Kamenica I and Kombiteks,
- development and adoption of spatial planning documentation,
- activities for establishing and improving partnerships, with partners from home and abroad
Strategic goals of the city of Bihać
- To be a modern European open city with respect for democratic principles based on EU standards
- To be the leader of competitiveness in the region, a recognizable destination for investment and business development
- To be a center in the region for the development of entrepreneurship, tourism and manufacturing
- Develop and encourage the development of social infrastructure, as well as raising the quality of education, sports, health, social protection and civil society
- Improve valorisation of natural resources based on sustainability principles with a backbone to the development of the Una National Park
- Creating a modern and efficient municipal administration to service investors and citizens by applying modern organizational modalities
- Improve environmental protection and favor the use of renewable / alternative energy sources and the implementation of energy efficiency programs
- To create capacities for creation and implementation of development projects, and in that connection enhancing partnership with the environmen